Wednesday, July 25, 2012
What is the Peace and Freedom Party about?
The Peace and Freedom Party of California, founded in 1967, is committed to socialism, democracy, ecology, feminism and racial equality. We organize toward a world where cooperation replaces competition, a world where all people are well fed, clothed and housed; where all women and men have equal status; where all individuals may freely endeavor to fulfill their own talents and desires; a world of freedom and peace where every community retains its cultural integrity and lives with all others in harmony.
The summary platform is available as a flyer in both English and Spanish to print and distribute.
Click here to download [http://peaceandfreedom.org/home/about-us/platform/summary-platform]
We offer this summary of our immediate and long-range goals:
* Double the minimum wage, and index it to the cost of living.
* Guarantee the right of all workers to organize and to strike; forbid striker replacement.
* Socially useful jobs for all at union pay levels.
* Equal pay for equal work, and for work of comparable worth.
* A 30-hour workweek with no cut in weekly pay; longer paid vacations.
* Guaranteed dignified income for those who cannot work.
* A Universal Basic Income to alleviate poverty and homelessness.
* Tax the income and assets of the rich to meet human needs.
* International trade agreements must guarantee the protection of workers and the environment in all participating countries; abolish NAFTA, GATT and the World Trade Organization (WTO).
* End homelessness; abolish vagrancy laws; provide decent affordable housing for all.
* Social ownership and democratic control of industry, financial institutions, and natural resources.
* The United States should take the initiative toward global disarmament by eliminating nuclear, chemical and biological weapons.
* Withdraw U. S. troops and weapons from other countries, and reallocate the resulting "peace dividend" for social benefit.
* Abolish the CIA, NSA, AID and other agencies for interference in other countries' internal affairs.
* Convert from a military to a peace-oriented economy, with jobs for displaced workers.
* Self-determination for all nations and peoples of the world, including Puerto Rico and all U. S. territories.
* Defend and extend liberties guaranteed in the Bill of Rights.
* End discrimination based on race, sex, age, sexual orientation, or disability.
* Restore affirmative action, guarantee full education and employment rights for all.
* Abolish the death penalty.
* No prison labor for private profit.
* Support the right of working people to keep and bear arms.
* Democratic elections through proportional representation; full political, social and economic rights for resident non-citizens.
* Honor treaties with Native American nations; recognize California's Native American nations. Defend and extend Native American rights and sovereignty.
* Provide full free quality public education through university level. Teach the history of workers' struggles and labor's creation of society's wealth and progress.
* Full rights for all immigrant workers. No human is illegal. Stop ICE raids. Stop jailing and deporting immigrants.
* Restore and strengthen bilingual education.
* Uncensored government funding for ordinary people to create and enjoy art.
* Scientific and technological research to benefit ordinary people, not the capitalists.
* Free high-quality health care for everyone, including birth control, abortion, pre-natal and childhood health care. No forced sterilizations.
* Legalize marijuana, decriminalize drug use, and make substance abuse treatment freely available.
* Give special attention to preventing epidemics of communicable diseases such as AIDS. Guarantee the rights of people living with AIDS.
* Restore and protect air, water, land and ecosystems.
* Promote conservation and develop solar and other renewable energy to replace nuclear power and fossil fuels.
* End environmental racism: no toxic dumping in anyone's back yard.
* Massive development of public transportation available free or at nominal fares.
* Outlaw clear cutting and protect remaining old-growth forests.
* Promote an environmentally sound agricultural system which meets human needs and protects farm workers' labor rights and standard of living.
"Why is the economy stuck in such a rut?" from a rank-and-file member of the Peace and Freedom Party, from Fremont, in Alameda County:
In the 1970's, corporations began “outsourcing” good-paying factory jobs in the North to low-wage southern states. Then to Mexico after Clinton's NAFTA, and then to China with its semi-slave wages. As corporations moved capital overseas seeking greater profits, the US economy was hollowed out. It became a “consumer” economy. As good-paying factory jobs left, America's 200 years of rising “real wages” came to an end. (“Real wages” means inflation-adjusted.)
Without rising wages, a “consumer” economy can't grow. The Internet and housing bubbles kept it going for awhile, but in 2008 the bubbles collapsed. The heyday of America's “private sector” is gone forever.
The Democrats and Republicans still worship the “private sector” as the job creators, but it is hoarding TWO TRILLION DOLLARS of accumulated corporate profits – and would rather invest it in China than in creating jobs here! In the 1930s Depression, progressive movements forced the government to create 11 million jobs. That's the only fix for this “Great Recession” – and thousands of people are starting that movement. Support the Peace and Freedom Party. Join us to help build that movement!
Posted by Peace and Freedom Party, Solano County at 10:28 PM